I’m
reading a book called “The Visibles” by Sara Shepard, which is the story of a
girl named Summer Davis. When the book starts out Summer is a teenager and her
mother just left that family but by the ends she’s in her late twenties. A very
important part of the book is Summer’s relationship with her father, Richard.
At the beginning it starts out good but deteriorates throughout the book.
In the beginning of the book
Richard is someone Summer can turn to for help. They are both going through
losing her mother and they learn how to handle it together, which I think is
healthy. But really they never let go of the fact that she left and years later
her father is depressed. Her brother moved out and she has to take care of her
father. Maybe its good because she can take her mind of her mother and all the
other hardships of her life and she can focus on her father, but its also and
unhealthy relationship because her father it getting worse and worse. Most girl
idolize their fathers and fathers are supposed to take care of you can be the
strong hand to guide you through all the problems you face in life, but Summer
now has to take care of her father can guide him through his depression and she
doesn’t know how to help.
Later in the book Richard goes to
home to treat his depression and Summer goes to live with her aunt Stella whose
dying of cancer. Summer’s afraid to go back to Brooklyn because she doesn’t
want to be reminded of all the pain she faced there with her mother and father.
But Stella tells Summer, “I don’t need to be saved.” I think she said this because
Summer gets fixed on helping Stella and taking care of her, just like she did
with her father when she really needs to focusing on saving herself. Summer and
Richard barley talk anymore after he tells her that he has fallen in love with
a woman and is moving back to Brooklyn. I think this hurts Summer not only
because she doesn’t want her father to love anyone but her mother but she’s
also upset because her father has someone else to take care of him. So does
Stella and now Summer has to face her problems and try to fix her life.
I’m reading “The Visibles” by Sara Shepard,
which I think is a really interesting book. Of the main parts is Summer's
relationship with her father, which has been getting worse over the course of the
book, because of Summer's inability to face life.
No comments:
Post a Comment