Monday, May 27, 2013

Looking for Alaska 2 (contains spoilers)


            I’m reading the book “Looking For Alaska” by John Green. Its about a boy named Miles aka Pudge who goes to boarding school and meets a girl named Alaska and falls in love with her. One night Alaska gets drunk with Miles and his friends and then leaves abruptly. The next morning the school finds out that Alaska died in a car accident.
           
           After Alaska dies Miles says that he could recite the last words of any famous person but he would never know Alaska’s. I think that’s one of the most tragic parts of this book so far. Miles loves this girl. He had never been so close to someone in his life and when she dies he can’t even know the last thing she said. Miles is obsessed with the last words of famous people. He can recite the last words of people he had never met, but he can’t know the words of someone he loved more then anyone. Alaska had always been a bit of a mystery to everyone around her. Miles had only begun to get to know the real her, because I don’t think she truly ever opened up to anyone before. But know if she’s dead all those secrets die with her. All the things that she never told her closest friends die with her, like her last words.
            
               Another idea I had about Miles not knowing Alaska’s last words was that, if she is dead he could become obsessed with finding her last words even though it might be impossible. It could be unhealthy for Miles to become obsessed about finding out these last words that are impossible to find. Some people when a loved one dies try to hang on to some part of them to keep their memory alive. I think that Miles tries to do that with last words. If he tries to hang on to that part of Alaska he may drive himself insane because that part of her isn’t a memory or something tangible. It’s an idea. He loves her so much it would kill him not to have something to remember her. He may not be able to live with the fact that Alaska may remain a mystery.
           
            I’m reading “Looking for Alaska” by John Green. I just found out that Alaska died in a car crash and I think that Miles and his friends might blame themselves or go crazy trying to find her and bring her back. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rosie,
    This was an incredible and really detailed blog post. I definitely agree with the fact that Miles tries to look for Alaska (tee hee) by trying to discover her last words. Do you think that if this happened to you, would you do the same thing? Is Miles overreacting? How would Miles's character have changed if he knew the last words of Alaska?
    Amazing as always,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete