I am reading the book Me Talk
Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It’ s a collection of short stories about
David Sedaris’s life. The first part of the book, is from time when he is in 5th
grade to after he graduates collage, the second part is stories about when he
moves to France. A lot of the short stories are about expressing himself in
different ways, but also he uses small moments of his life so the reader can
visualize who he is.
In the first part of Me Talk
Pretty One Day is like a timeline of David Sedaris’s life, and a lot of the
stories are about expressing himself in different ways. The first story in the
book is called; “ Go Carolina” is about how in fifth grade he had to go to
speech therapy, because he had a lisp. In the text it says, “ my mother bought
me a pocket thesaurus, which provided me with s-free alternatives to just about
everything.” Its one of the ways that he expresses himself in the book that has
the most to do with the main title of the book, and theme of the book. But in
other stories he expresses himself through art and music, but sadly fails at
doing both. Even though the stories are mostly comedic, I think that a lot of
people can relate to them. I like to express myself through acting and writing,
but a lot of times it doesn’t help say what I really want to say and I might
have to evolve, and find different ways to communicate what I really believe,
which I think is a situation a lot of people can find themselves in.
I think it’s impressive how David
Sedaris uses very small moments to describe his life, but readers can still get
a sense of who he is as a person. In one of his stories called, “Today’s
Special” he talks about how he’s having lunch with his boyfriend and the food
is to fancy for him. In the text it says, “ I’ve never thought of myself as a
particularly finiky eater, but it’s hard to be a good sport when each dish
seems to include no fewer than a dozen ingredients, one of which I’m bound to
dislike.” It shows some of his sarcastic side but can be something many of us
New Yorkers can agree with. You can learn a lot about him by that two-page
story about food, if you really analyze it. Later in the story he buys a hot
dog even though his friends told him how gross, and bad it is for you. I think
this shows that he doesn’t care what people think, he just wants to revert back
to his traditional ways. In another story when the new computer came out he
wanted to stick to his typewriter, which in another way shows that he wants to
stick with the things he knows, instead of changing.
In the collection of short stories
called, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, the stories are mainly about
different ways of expressing himself, by speaking or writing, or making art, or
just telling us his opinion about different stuff. I think it’s impressive how he
can use tiny moments from his life but still have the reader be able to see who
he is as a person.
No comments:
Post a Comment