I’m reading
the book The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold which is about a girl who
narratives from her “heaven” because she was raped and killed by her “odd”
neighbor Mr. Harvey. She watches over her broken family, and friends try to
piece together their lives and solve her murder. I think it’s brilliant that
Alice Sebold chooses to use Susie as the narrator, it could’ve been her sister
or her friends but Sebold chooses Susie, I also think that each character is so
relatable and so real that it makes a situation that may seem foreign to a lot
of people more realistic.
I think
it’s vital that this story is told from Susie’s perspective. Susie’s life was
stolen from her, she struggles everyday in what she thinks is her “heaven” but
she’s dead, her story has stopped but the ones on Earth, the ones who she left
behind, are broken, confused, and raw. Since Susie’s the narrator you get to
see everyone of their stories, that her father suspects the right man and is
punishing himself and its driving him to a point of insanity, how her mother is
drifting away from her husband and her remaining children, how her sister can’t
stand the looks at school and can’t stand the fact that her father is in so
much pain. Without Susie the dead 14-year-old girl, not all of these stories
would be brought to light.
I also feel that in the book The
Lovely Bones each story is so real, maybe it’s not something that we can
all relate to but I think in each character one could find themselves within
that character. I think a lot of kids can relate to Susie or Lindsey, her
sister. There are always things we can’t control in our lives, Lindsey can’t
control her sister’s death and she can’t control the way people act around her
and she tries hard to ignore it, because I think that when something is too
painful we as people just don’t want to face it and I think that is definitely
something that we can relate to. I think kids can also relate to Susie because
sometimes when your parents are hurting you don’t know what to do, they’re the
ones that are always comforting you and giving you advice that when its time to
return the favor you just can’t, and Susie can’t. She can’t communicate with
anyone especially her family, the ones she has to communicate most with, but I
think that’s just a metaphor for what I said earlier.
Things happen. Terrible, horrific
things happen in this world. Murders, rapes, wars, they all happen, and the
consequences are always severe. They leave people scared, and broken, shattered,
like the characters in The Lovely Bones . But I think what hurts the
most are the questions that come after. What happened? Why me? Why wasn’t I
there? Why couldn’t I stop it? Why couldn’t I help? These are all question that
Susie’s family and families around the world are asking when the unthinkable
happens. Its not fair, if the world has taken something from you, you should be
able to just have those answers but the world doesn’t work like that you have
to go out and find them yourself. In The Lovely Bones that’s the only
thing Susie’s family can do, and the fact the Susie is telling the story helps
you see the ways they do.
I thought that your blog was amazing! I really agree with you when you said that "there are always things that we can't control in our lives" it's really true, I also liked when you related Susie's situation to when our parents are hurting. It feels terrible to sit there and not know what to do. Would you like to be able to control everything in your life? I wouldn't like to control everything in mine. It may make our lives less painful, but without pain, life would not be life. I finished reading The Lovely Bones a little while ago, if you want you can read my blog post on it, and feel free to comment!
ReplyDeletethank you :) i'll comment on your blog post as soon as i can
ReplyDeleteOk, thanks! By the way, you can find my blog under class 810!
DeleteRosie,
ReplyDeleteI dare say your post was spiffier than even a princess! I really like how you wove textual evidence into your own thoughts. I also thought what you said abut the questions we ask was terrifically genious! We do ask questions, and as people are quite selfish, they usually pertain to ourselves instead of whoever was killed, raped, hurt, etc. I also enjoyed what you said pertaining to Susie's narration. I agree, and think that it's one of the things that makes the book really unique-- what other book's narrator is dead?
Toodle-loo
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletethank you Oliva, i think spiffer is quite an amazing word. i can't think of any other book where the narrator is dead. do you have examples?
ReplyDeleteHey!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog post. I think you had a lot of great points. One thing that you talked about that I really liked was when you said all that stuff about how you can't control everything. I liked how you related it to us, and then to the people in the book. I agree with you about the fact that Susie being the narrator makes the story a lot better. I would definitely like to find a book where someone dead narrates the whole story, so that I can see everyone's story. Great post!
- Georgia p.
thanks georgia!
ReplyDelete