I’m
currently reading the book “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” by Jonathan
Safran Foer which is about a boy named Oskar who lost his dad during 9/11 and
it now on the search for a lock that goes with a key he found in his dad’s
closet. Finding the key is clearly the issue of the book but I also noticed a
smaller issue in the book.
After
his dad died Oskar and his mom started to drift apart. Oskar likes to ask lots
of questions and it a little bit socially awkward even for a nine year old. Whenever
he tries to talk to her she seems tired of listening to him. Maybe it’s hard
for her to raise him and deal with him without Thomas Oskar’s father. But she
still has Oskar’s grandmother to help her. I’ll also noticed that out of the
family, Oskar, his mom and dad and his grandmother, Oskar’s mother seems the
least close to the father. Maybe that’s because we just don’t see their
relationship very clearly or in detail. But I also think this because while
Oskar and his grandmother are still grieving Oskar’s mother has found a “special
friend” named Ron. It is healthy for her to move on, but Oskar is still mad at
her for it. I think Oskar’s mother knew that Oskar was always closer to his
father especially after his death. I think that Oskar and his mother need to
face their problems, before Oskar really feels satisfied after finding the
lock.
I
wonder if finding this key will lead to more sadness for Oskar. The journey
might lead him to find things about his parents that he might have never wanted
to know. He’s also very young and going around New York City by him self could
lead to danger. But more importantly he may be to young to understand the
actions or the things the adults around him did, and it may hurt him more then
help him. I know that whatever the lock leads to will be of value because it’s
a fictional world, but in reality the key might not lead to anything of significance
which would leave the person who opens the lock with great disappointment, especially
if that person was a nine year old boy looking for answers about his dead
father.
I’m
currently reading the book “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” by Jonathan
Safran Foer. The over arching problem in this story is that Oskar wants to find
the lock that goes with the key that he found in his dead fathers closet. But I
think his quest won’t really be finished unless he resolves the problems he has
with his mother.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRosie, I think this is a very strong blog post! I really enjoyed this book too, and I agree that in order to solve the mystery he wants, he needs to resolve the tension between him and his mother. DO you think the issue is resolvable with his mother?
ReplyDelete--Alexa :)
Rosie, I loved your post! This is really really good. I want to read the book now. I really liked how you talked about the different relationships in the book.And even though I haven't read the book I'm also wondering if the key will cause even more sadness for Oskar or if it will bring him closure. IM DEF GONNA READ THIS BOOK. great post btw :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a really good post Rosie, I loved how passionate you were explaining your thoughts of the book, your post made me want to read this book (tell me how good it was next time i see you). I think you could of gone a little deeper on how it might effect him when he finds the key. Do you think that he is already changed enough, maybe he cant be changed any more he seems pretty hurt already do you think it will worsen his condition or help him.
ReplyDelete