Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars


            I’m currently reading “The Fault In Our Stars” by John Green. This book is about a girl named Hazel who has tumors in her lungs so they “suck at being lungs”, and at a support group for kids with cancer she meets a boy named Augustus Waters whom she falls for almost immediately. I’m not very far into the book but I can already see that Hazel is jumping into a friendship with Gus, and she has extremely low self- esteem.
            This might be as Hazel calls it “a side effect of dying”, but she seems to be jumping into her relationship with Gus. They aren’t involved romantically yet but she seems to have a lot of trust and faith in him. The first time she met him she went to his house to see a movie, I don’t think this is wrong or anything but I feel like a girl like Hazel won’t normally be so fast to get in a relationship with a guy. I like Gus, but I feel like he has the real potential to hurt ever, in ways that not even dying can do.  She always casts her self off as just a “side effect” or someone waiting to die, but Gus has a totally different attitude, he is trying and hard as he can to live a normal life, and even though he’s been through a lot of pain in his life he still looks to help others and tries to see the world through their eyes. Maybe that’s way Hazel is so attracted to him. It seem like they’re meant to be pair and that they fit hand and hand but I think that that may be dangerous for Hazel because he may be the one person that can hurt her the most. But when you’ve been terminal your whole life I guess taking risks to be happy isn’t so bad.
            I think Hazel has really low self- esteem, and again this may be what she calls “ a side effect of dying”, but I think she deserves to look at her self and be more happy with what she sees. In the book Hazel says, “ Cancer kids are essentially side effects of the relentless mutation that made the diversity of life on earth possible”. She shouldn’t just cast herself off as a side effect, or society’s experiment. Hazel is extremely intelligent and deep, she’s poetic, mostly poetic about death, but she still should be able to hold her self higher then just a side effect. Her treatment was a miracle; experimental drugs shrunk the tumors, which bought her more time. I do understand why Hazel thinks like that though, she may have more time on earth but she’s still going to die. She can’t go back to school and she always as an oxygen tank with her but she is strong. I know that it sound cheesy but she should have more respect for her self because she’s living with cancer, she’s not always confined to a hospital bed and she’s living much longer then expected. She deserves to have more respect for her self.
            I’m currently reading “The Fault In Our Stars” by John Green. Hazel has always been on the verge of death but now she’s found someone Gus Waters who she can depend on. But I noticed in the book so far that she’s jumping quickly into a relationship with Gus that could hurt her, and she has very low self esteem. 

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to read that book (probably because the cover looks awesome)and now I REALLY want to. I love the ideas youn had about how he could hurt her-- cuz isn't it the one you love most who has the power to hurt you most? I wonder if Gus will turn out to be good or bad. I think that even if he turns out to be amazing; just what she needed, a perfect guy and completely in love with her,one of them (whomever dies last) would suffer so much heartbreak if the other passes away. That sounds incredibly depressing, but is what I think. But on the other hand, shoouldn't you live life as you live it. I think it's also important to not be in fear of the future. It's hard to make a decision on this topic. SPIFFY POST!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete