Thursday, February 7, 2013

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close *some spoilers


            I am continuing to read the book “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” which is about a boy named Oskar who is searching for a lock to a key he found in his dead fathers closet, but there is also other stories going on. There is one of Oskar’s grandfathers writing to Oskar’s father and then Oskar’s grandmother writing to him.
           
Oskar’s grandfather Thomas left his grandmother when she told him she was pregnant. I thought it was a cowardly and horrible thing to do. He should of stayed with her and helped even though he might not have loved her anymore. The worst part of it is that Oskar’s grandmother still worshipped her husband she even named her son after him even though he left when she needed him most. Their relationship was broken anyway though. Thomas has loved Anna, Oskar’s grandmother’s sister ever since he last saw her when he was a teenager. I think that it was torturing him that he had to see the sister of the girl he loved for almost all his life. It wasn’t fair to him but it also wasn’t fair to Oskar’s grandmother. She loved him and worshipped him and needed him and he just needed someone to be there so he wouldn’t fall apart. But I also think that one of the reasons he left her is because he didn’t want a kid. Ann was pregnant before she died in a bombing Dresden Germany where her, her sister, and Thomas all grew up. He couldn’t stand watching his child grow up knowing he had lost one before and I understand that. But he should’ve have helped Oskar’s grandmother more. She was even more broken then him in some ways. She lost a sister a father and a love in one lifetime. She was in a relationship with someone she idealized even though she new that he never loved her.
           
I’m not sure if Oskar has found any of the letters from both him grandparents yet. I think that his dad has read the letters from him father because on the page the author purposely put read markings and circles on the letters. If Oskar finds these letters it might help him to understand his father more and better yet it might help him in his journey to find the lock that goes with the key that belonged to his father. I don’t know how or if the two or rather three stories (letters) will come together in the end because their haven’t been many connections to the lock yet in the story that I have noticed but I think that in the end they will come together and at least give Oskar and his family some closure about the past. I think the letters from his grandmother will affect Oskar more because they were meant for him. The letters from his grandfather that he’s never even met where meant for his dad and would have probably given him more closure, but hopefully it will come together in the end of the book.
           
I have continued to read the book “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” about a boy named Oskar who is searching for a lock that fits with a key that was in his dead fathers belongings. But there are other letters from his grandparents that might tie into the story at the end and help Oskar find the key.

2 comments:

  1. This was REALLY good!!! Personally I died reading this book and when I saw the movie I cried my eyes out. I truly think that while you're reading this book think about the mental state of each character. After 9/11 or any type of terrorist attack (like the ones in Dresden) people truly suffer. I found that if you pay attention to the minds of all the characters you will love the story.
    Amazing,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete