I
read the article and watched the video on the nytimes website called “Calorie
Detective” by Casey Neistat. The main idea of the video and
the article is that the author believes that New York City’s Department of
health law that stats chain restaurants have to post the number of calories on
their meals is not 100% accurate. The author along with two other scientists
did a test on 5 samples of food from common chain restaurants: a Subway
sandwich, a Starbucks Frappuccino, a muffin, a tofu sandwich and a Chipotle
burrito. The author states, “Four out of the five items I tested had more
calories than their labels reported, adding up to 550 calories. If I
unknowingly consumed those extra calories every day, in a week I would put on
an extra pound of body weight.” The author explains that some companies have
even double the amount of actual calories then the amount of calories that they
display on the label. But the author’s general main idea is that this new
display of calories system might not be fool proof. The author stated in the
article “But there’s one thing I can say for certain: our current system for
regulating calories is woefully inadequate.”
Some things I noticed that the author did to get me on his
side was to ask the scientists their credentials on camera and ask how much
they believed in their results on camera. It reassures you that the results are
accurate which can help the author get you on their side. He also says “A
spokesman emphatically stressed that the accuracy of nutritional data is important
to the company.” He’s telling us that the person “emphatically stressed”
something that he basically proved to be untrue by finding that the company did
not display the right calorie count, making that company look even more guilty
and making his side look more like the right side to be on. He also said, “If I
unknowingly consumed those extra calories every day, in a week I would put on
an extra pound of body weight. Not good.” The casual, and fact like way he said
it makes it seem more like fact then it is and more relatable to the readers
which can help the author sway readers into getting on board with his side.
I’m shocked that companies lie to the
consumers about calorie count. Actually I’m not that shocked. Big chains like
the ones that were tested in this experiment would do almost anything to get
people to buy their product. I don’t really understand or know if its possible
for this country to stop the obesity epidemic if people don’t even know how
many calories they are eating.
rosie,
ReplyDeletei thought this blog post was really good and interesting. I think you chose a really unique topic. And it worked really well for non fiction. i like how you talked about how the author used some techniques to get you on his side of the issue. like he has an opinion and wrote the article to really show how much they care about the issues on the department of health. That really showed in your blog.
Great job!
Thanks Becca!
ReplyDelete