Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review of Olivia's Pride and Prejudice


      
           I read Olivia’s blog post on “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen. I like her bog post because she chose a different character (Miss. Bingley) to focus on instead of Lizzy or Mr. Darcy. I like the fact that Olivia has a strong opinion and a strong voice and it really comes out in her writing.
           
        Olivia’s blog posts focuses on of the characters in the book that might be considered the “bad guy” but she took another spin on it. She points out that Miss. Bingley’s view on social class and her views on marriage might be deluded. She gives her opinion but still incorporates the plot just enough so that the reader can understand and agree of disagree with the points Olivia makes. She gives more than one opinion of the character so that she doesn’t seem bias or close-minded, which is good to see in a blog post. She points out that Miss. Bingley’s views may be flawed she might not be this big villain that some people make her out to be. She says, “Miss Bingley should not have disapproved. In this way Miss Bingley's whole personality is contradictory, which makes her such a good and complex character.” This sentence states flaws in the character and says that Olivia still thinks that she’s a complex and interesting character.
       
       I also like Olivia’s post because of her writing voice. The craft she used was good because she asked questions to keep the reader interested in her post and she gave opinions about the characters that can leave plenty of room for discussion. She has a strong writing voice that isn’t bland like some essay or book review tones can be, and her tone and voice keep the reader interested in the post and want to keep reading.
       
       This post does make me want to read the book to get more of a sense of all the characters and see if I agree with all the things the Olivia says in her post. I want to see if I end up thinking weather or not I think Miss. Bingley is a "bad guy" or not. Her post makes me think about how people have a lot of layers to them. I guess some people can be rotten to the core, but most people have different sides to them. People can hide behind cold exteriors because they don't want to get hurt or because they think that they're helping themselves by not letting anybody in. Some people can look like a good person on the outside  but on the inside they could be something completely different. 
      
      I haven't read any other posts by Olivia but after reading this post, I think I'll start reading them more. I think that Olivia dug deeper into the book then most people would have, and chose a different aspect of it, which I thought, was nice to see in a blog post and I think that Olivia’s tone and voice were really good. I really loved your post Olivia! Great job!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment